September 12-13, 2013
Other than fun and the tour that the CHWs had during the visits, they were also busy engaging in preparations for the development of the second mobile application, MCC (Mobile Counseling cards). The heart of the project is to collaboratively design the mobile applications.
Learning from their colleagues from Kibera who had used counseling cards before, it was evident that HIV counseling cards play a crucial role in the counseling process. These are the benefits shared by Kibera team:
- Makes the client interested in the process
- Improves understanding
- Time saving
- Builds confidence of the CHW and client
- Clients can easily believe the messages as it is from a recognized source
- Guides the CHW to pass all key messages
- Brings out information with clarity
- They can be used for a long time
- Guarantees uniformity of key messages passed to clients
Armed with cameras and the sheer desire to see the project succeed, the team set out to visit households and a local primary school from where counseling cards were shot. These cards covered hygiene and sanitation practices such as hand washing and water treatment. It was amazing to see ingenuity at its best in the design of hand washing facility for households and schools.
At the end of the day, they reviewed the pictures taken to make sure that they had captured the best shots possible. We all can’t wait to see the translation of this activity translate into a mobile application that would change the lives of many.